Monday, July 7, 2008

Resurrected

Greetings my understanding and forgiving readers. Pardon the unprecedented break in posts. The Canadian wilderness (and isolated little Wallaceburg) are enjoyable places (Wallaceburg maybe less so, but given the right mix of beer and rowdy friends...), but offer less than ideal connectivity. While I'm sure there are hordes of loyal readers out there who have not slept this past week, you need fret no longer.

Time away from work for me usually isn't that... away. I usually stay connected with work and active on projects. This time was different because of circumstance more than inclination, but I found some value in the clean break. I've often laughed at the "work/life balance" proposition, figuring that only people that don't find real meaning in their work would employ this scape goat. After last week though, I believe differently. The escape will make me better at my work, and will better position me to achieve the things that I want to achieve... which are beginning to extend beyond professional accomplishment.

Meetings are a great microcosm for this bigger picture. "Balance" usually means "booze" in this context, though. What other inclusive options are there for balancing workload in a meeting?

No comments: