Monday, July 14, 2008

Why Starving Participants is a Great Idea

I have to question the science behind this, but LiveScience posted an article recently about hunger resulting in a base chemical motivation to achieve. See here.

The article is based on a test conducted with mice, experimenting ghrelin levels; ghrelin being a hormone that our bodies excretes when we're hungry. Mice that are sensitive to ghrelin are the big heroes in the mazes and various other semi-cruel tests.

This could change everything. Every conference I go to aims to pump attendees full of food as some kind of reward. My goal at every conference I go to is to eat as much free crap as I can as well (don't judge me, I'm not alone and I'm a growing boy). If our aim should be to accomplish things in an efficient manner, is this counterproductive? I think the logic is to keep people content, which may be important to the psychology of an individual and dynamic of a group.

But if we're to approach meetings scientifically, it's time we start experimenting with food deprivation. Other unusual cruelties could follow, just in case.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome! Not only remove all sustenance, but attach electrodes to any meeting participants that might nod off in the midst of important discussions!

There is some importance, I feel, to making sure that people aren't TOO comfortable. Often times an extremely cozy chair and a full stomach, for me, equals droopy eyes. Extreme hunger, and a rickety splinter-endowing stool, doesn't exactly help the creative process either, though...

Andrew said...

What an important point, and I can't believe I haven't blogged about it before. You right on with the "TOO comfortable" bit. Extreme comfort is synonymous with complacency.

Taking people out of their comfort zone can wake people up and stimulate thought (see recent post re: profanity). Especially in a meeting where people are visioning, planning, or otherwise need to be future focused, removing them from the norm is critical. Relaxation perpetuates relaxation. That's won't do for productivity or innovative thought.

Great comment.