Sunday, June 29, 2008

An Expression of Humility

I found myself bowing in appreciation to someone for having me in to their home last night. Shortly thereafter, I found myself the subject of much laughter. It's a hangover from my profession. I am often making gestures with the intent of presenting my position as an unassuming servant of process.

This is a matter of simple gestures, but is also a matter of great psychological importance. I'm not convinced that the bowing low method is the proper way to go about it, but it can be a critical function that one operating in the interests of the meeting purpose make efforts not to infringe on the expertise or be considered as affronting the egos of people in a meeting.

There's no silver bullet. I may require greater lengths than many to balance the portion of my persona that is often interpreted as arrogant. I need also compensate for the appearance of youth, being that I'm often in the presence of those with much more experience and far greater credentials.

Besides little tricks, how can we work towards being authentically humble?

I would endorse a skimming of Egonomics.

No comments: