Friday, August 1, 2008

Sourcing the Network

A few colleagues and I have been looking at creating a social map to see the pre and post conference connections of Designing and Implementing Multidisciplinary Collaborations. The objective is to see if people were able to form new connections at the meeting, and eventually to gauge whether or not those connections resulted in collaborations.


We have gathered some very simple data, just asking people who the met that they didn't know before. But what are we to do with this data? I've downloaded a few evaluation versions of complex mapping solutions like NetMiner, but they do way more than I need them to. They are very foreign to me. So, I decided to ask the Value Networks discussion group if they were aware of any solutions an ignoramus could employ to create a visual map of the dynamic connectivity resulting from this conference.


The results were interesting. A few of the options and the kind folks who generously suggested them are below, and I suggest you check them out to see the range of functionality and usability. I haven't got enough experience to offer valid insight of any kind on these, but I hope to soon.

For me, the cool options are only part of what makes these responses exciting. The other part is the value of being able to access a network like this, with such a wealth of knowledge in this area. These people and several others that responded are leaders in this field, and each took the time to offer some neutral commentary on their suggestions as well as asking some important questions that perhaps I hadn't asked myself. Simple networking tools like discussion groups are such great enablers for connecting, accessing insight, and sharing.

There is a lot of value in network mapping of meetings that most of us aren't thinking enough about yet. But I think we're not even making proper use of the basics. A discussion group as a supplement to a meeting could be great, given the appropriate critical mass of contributors.

No comments: