Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Human Slavery (The Arts and Change)

Having been introduced to some films, I've begun to realize how terrifically (and pleasantly) ignorant I am. I was not surprised to learn that slavery exists on this planet Earth. I was astonished to learn the magnitude of the tragedy. Please follow these links to see what the film community is working to expose:

http://callandresponse.com/
http://www.madebysurvivors.com/content/holly-film-about-human-trafficking

I'm grateful for these projects that create and enhance awareness around social issues. Done well, a film or other artistic works cannot only develop awareness, but can inspire action and trigger the connection of resources. The challenges they seek to address are also being considered as the focus of many social change meetings and conferences.

My question is, how can the meeting arena better use or nurture artistry to achieve social change? Creating visual models is one thing, but how are meetings evoking emotional responses?

2 comments:

Ann DeMarle said...

Andrew,
interesting discussion. My thoughts revolve around the same. We are starting a major incorporation of digital expression for social change! This week myself and 17 from the Emergent Media Center at Champlain College travel to South Africa to create a digital game for youth about violence against women. We will be applying the Sabido methodology (originally intended for video and radio). Stay tuned.
Best,
Ann

Andrew said...

I will stay tuned Ann! I'm watching with great excitement. I love your blog, but also appreciate the broadcast messages you've been sending.

Good luck, and have a great time! I can't wait to learn more.

...

For those of you that don't know what Ann and the Emergent Media Center folks are up to, there is a link to her blog on the main page of this blog. Check it out and prepare to be astonished!