Thursday, May 15, 2008

On Labeling Generations

I'm part of an international network that has found some members looking for and exchanging research and information about Generation Y's. Some of the research is fascinating (send me an email at andrew.webster@kingbridgecentre.com if you'd like to see it), so I thought I'd share it with some colleagues. Among them is my friend and CIMIT counterpart Mike Young. I found his reaction to the initial request for research/resources interesting. My responses to him in caps:

"Andrew,
I have thoughts on this person's request.


I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE YOU TO REGISTER FOR THIS GOOGLE GROUP IF YOU ARE INTERESTED. I WILL INTRODUCE YOU TO THE MODERATOR IF YOU LIKE. THEY WOULD VALUE YOUR THOUGHTS BELOW, AND THERE'S ALWAYS EXCHANGES LIKE THIS WE CAN LEARN FROM.

I believe the first step for this person is to seriously reexamine her use of the term, "Generation Y." It is... Uncreative and has absolutely nothing to do with what is going on now or the impact of this generation. It serves to separate her and anything she wishes to understand about impact will be filtered through this viewpoint if it is how she chooses to approach people. Generation Y simply refers to a generation following X. Generation X having originally been given with a negative connotation - Post Vietnam with no purpose, which people adapted to a feeling of... False honor.

I THINK THERE IS SOME SENSE IN USING WHAT IS THE ACCEPTED TERM HERE, SIMPLY TO MAXIMIZE THE NUMBER OF RESPONSES SHE GETS. MAYBE THERE'S MORE CREATIVITY AND POSITIVE CONNOTATION THAN WE REALIZE THOUGH. WHAT IF THE "Y" IS TO KEEP WITH THE THEME, BUT REALLY MEANS "WHY?" AS THEY ARE THE GOOGLE GENERATION OR AN INQUISITIVE GENERATION. NOT SURE.

I've heard Generation D (Digital) I've heard all sorts of these generational things. Is it not too early for this branding? I just have so many problems with this type of classification in terms of being able to study something. How does she expect to understand the ideas behind social networking with such an outsiders point of view. There is objective observation and there is this, which seems to be buzz words and classifications, which doesn't promote understanding in my eyes. It goes against the generational bridges that have been developing from social networking.

NOBODY WANTS TO BE LABELED, I SUPPOSE. NO MATTER IF YOU JUST SPECIFY AN AGE RANGE OR CALL THEM SOMETHING CLEARLY DEROGATORY, PEOPLE WILL RESENT BEING ANALYZED AS DIFFERENT… BUT IT'S NECESSARY WORK. OUTSIDERS PERSPECTIVES CAN BE VALUABLE AS WELL I THINK. ESPECIALLY THE QUANTATIVE STUFF, LIKE WHICH AGE GROUPS USE WHICH NETWORK PLATFORMS FOR HOW MANY HOURS A DAY.

There are obviously generations, true - But to call this one Generation Y lacks the heart of what is going on here.I would expect more from this person at NASA. But I write this to you because I wish to get your opinion on this? And if you have a link to your blog on this?

I HAVEN'T BLOGGED ON THIS YET, BUT NOW I'M MORE LIKELY TO BLOG ON YOUR REACTION THAN ON THE REPORTS, IF YOU WOULDN'T MIND ME QUOTING YOU. THE GOOGLE GROUP IS FULL OF STUFF LIKE THIS, AND SOME GOOD DIALOGUE SOMETIMES FROM INTERNATIONAL THOUGHT LEADERS. THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR THOUGHTS."



I did get his permission before posting! I've also introduced him to John Maloney of Colabria, a recognized thought leader in Knowlege Management and Network Analysis, who moderates the group. Their organizations both span so many industries and disciplines that there could be interesting outcomes down the road...

Looking forward to John and the Value Networks Cluster returning here in September.

No comments: