Monday, March 24, 2008

The Death of the Lecture

With innumerable different approaches to learning and instruction like gaming, virtual worlds, informal learning, podcasts, and more collaborative user-generated on-demand content sources, what will become of the traditional lecture?


Erik Mazur is a leading edge professor from Harvard. He strikes me as anti-lecture, and is doing some fascinating research into alternatives for use in university classrooms. Check out some of the options he's researching here.

I've got to be somewhat sensitive, as I call a good many lecture-heavy professors clients, but I'll at least submit that the lecture is not well suited to every learner type. Where does the urge to have an expert dictate come from, and will it live on in the coming decades?

Check back soon for "The Death of the Case Study", as my affront on "higher" education system continues.

No comments: