Friday, March 14, 2008

All Work and No Play

The week is over. This doesn't often mean much to me. I don't treat weeknights much different from Friday and Saturday. I like to go in to work on the weekends.

But this week is different. I get enthused often at work. Little breakthroughs do wonders for my esteem and motivation. I've found myself less easy to motivate this week. The implications are enormous. What will I do to get my motivation back? I'm working on a lot of important things right now... or should be.

How "manageable" or available to influence is motivation? My secret weapon is usually unrivaled discipline. When that fails, I'm in trouble. In meetings, we rely on external forces - like an engaging meeting - to precipitate motivation. I'd like some ideas on how we can work on it internally.

This is for a friend who said that my initial posts had too much of my work persona, and not enough genuine passion and personality. It's a bit of a cop-out, but this is me being personal, only to share that the passion doesn't express in written word because it's temporarily absent.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What aspects of those 'external meetings' do you find motivating for you?

In my line of work as a counsellor, we don't necessarily try to get the client to have everything that they've ever dreamed of (well, not directly). For example, if someone wants to be an astronaut, we don't call NASA. We talk with them about the things that an astronaut might do that they could do as well (ie: learning about stars, traveling, etc.).

To (probably unnecessarily) connect this back to my question, if a motivational meeting is a great boon to your creativity or drive, what is found in those meetings that will give you some motivation? It's a matter of replicating those factors for yourself.

Andrew said...

The best thing that can happen at any meeting is engaging discussion. External forces can stimulate this by asking questions that will get people interested. This can be replicated, and a blog is a great place to start. Thanks for the insights and interesting discussion.

Incidentally, I too want to be an astronaut. If you have any contacts at NASA, be sure to let me know.